Thursday, 12 May 2005

Today we went to our friend's home, S's, to make sticky rice steamed in banana leaves. They are called "banana" but are really "bamboo". What a lot of work! First the leaves had to be washed and dried by my friend while the other friend worked on the rice mixture in the kitchen and while Frunty played with toys and helped me supervise. I cut the pointy parts off the leaves of the bamboo. But wrapping the rice mixture just perfectly so looked hard...like some kind of Chinese origami and then tying them with a string before they unravelled...wow...so much work to make them and they are so delicious, we ate them in a few seconds!

Downside? I was only allowed one. I couldn't believe it! The two Moms reached for their seconds but told me that these traditional, dragon-boat race "rice dumplings" are too hard on a pregnant woman's digestion. How frustrating. I had to listen to them because they have gotten me through my entire pregnancy so far with all their support and tips and ancient Chinese secrets. So I had to watch them enjoy another. I am only allowed one a day. (they sent a bag home with me.) Frunty loved his one as well. As a little guy, he is also only allowed one but he didn't mind as was eager to go off playing again. Anyway, I will steam one tomorrow morning for breakfast. Talk about heaven wrapped in a leaf!

These 3 Moms from mainland China and Taiwan have helped me more than I can ever express. Because of them, I have no aches or pain. I have not gained any weight in 6 weeks, and they fill me with daily advice and support my recent emotional swings. They always say it is nothing and no problem but it means everything to me. Yesterday they talked to me about all my hospital and birthing fears with such warmth and patience and we were brought to laughter often...probably because I sound so nuts! And they have their cell phones on day and night for me. I write about this in my blog because I need to remember this because one doesn't meet such wonderfully supportive people everyday. I never want to forget this time. And although we know that we will all eventually move on from Brussels, we are cherishing our moments together now which is all anyone can ever do anyway.

Tomorrow we will meet at S's house to pick up our fresh, fish order. We ordered the fish from Holland and once a month it arrives and S's house becomes a little supermarket with women coming and going, picking up their orders, fumbling around in their wallets for exact change, bowing and smiling and going home to make sushi and sashimi for their families that night. We have now been invited into the circle so today is our first time picking up fish although we have been at the mini supermarket on other days when this little tradition took place. So tomorrow night when Daddy gets home, he will enjoy some sashimi and Frunty and I will make sushi rolls too with cooked shrimp. After a week of heavy British and German food, it will be nice for Daddy to have something filling but light.

So tomorrow's chore is fish pick-up and then it is another three day weekend with the highlight of the breast cancer run on Sunday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment