Thursday, 21 July 2005

Daddy posted a really fun, incognito photo of our folks with us. We had a great time with them and had to say "cheerio" yesterday. It was very sad because it was the end of such a special time and because we'll miss them til we visit again. But one of the reasons it was so special is because we are living here in Brussels. When we got home from the airport, I felt pretty down until our cleaning lady told us she hadn't seen her folks for six years. I counted my blessings at that point and haven't cried since!

I find that it really helps to have a busy day the day loved ones leave. So after the airport we went directly to the bank and then to the Canadian Embassy to pick up passports. Tiny Baby's photo was approved this time and his passport issued! Daddy and Frunty got new passports too. So we are all set in that department. Because Tiny Baby does not have Canadian citizenship yet though (this will take at least six months and Halifax may reject our application due to the photo) his passport is only valid one year. So next year, wherever we are, we'll have to renew it. This isn't a problem, I am just typing this info so I don't forget it.

After the passport pick-up, we came home for lunch and then L showed up to start sorting through our major mess. As hard as we try, we cannot keep our home tidy for more than one day. And the dog hair...don't even start! The best thing for all of us to do is to vacate the premises while she works her magic so we took off to Dr. W's for Tiny Baby's one month check-up.

Tiny Baby is doing really fantastic and we are thrilled. He is 4.6 kg and 56 cm long at 4.5 weeks of age. We were told the percentile and all that jazz but I don't give a hang for that. As long as he is healthy, which he is, then I couldn't be happier.
After Dr. W's, Daddy took Frunty to the Little Gym and I walked over to Medicis to change a doctor's appointment and deliver a gift to Dr. De V. The reason I had to change my appointment is because we'll be in Tunisia! (We booked a two week trip on Tuesday and will leave this Saturday.)

When I gave the gift to Dr. de V he looked really surprised and happy and said, "What is it?" and I told him I couldn't tell him because it was a gift and then he tried to open it in front of me but I really had to get home because it looked like another storm was going to hit and I didn't want to get stuck there all afternoon again. So I told him to take his time and scooted off.

Anyway, I thought it was funny that he looked like a big kid at Christmas. The gift was a bottle of Crown Royal that I asked my Dad to bring over from duty free and a Canadian cd. We were going to give him a cigar from Cuba but Dad and Daddy smoked some while together and they were quite dry. Anyway, when and if you ever meet a doctor with an excellent bedside manner, you gotta make sure that they feel appreciated because it is so rare to find one. He helped turn my fear of giving birth in Brussels into a fun experience and I wanted him to know how thankful I was. Most importantly, he safely delivered our baby and that is why we got him the gifts.

By the way, Mom helped hold Tiny Baby while I went to physio for some exercises, some simulated contractions (ouch!) and a massage. I asked the physio when I could start running again and she told me to wait awhile and check with my doctor. Funny, my doctor told me to wait awhile and check with the physio. No one really knows, I conclude. So I am listening to my own body and enjoyed a 40 minute non-stop run with my Dad the day before he left! We ran three times together. The first time was for 15 minutes to test the waters as I may have written, the second for 40 minutes with two stops to breastfeed (my Mom and Tiny Baby followed behind) and the third, we stole 40 straight minutes as my Mom kept Tiny Baby asleep in the snuggly. I don't feel perfect yet but I feel definitely well enough to run.

Back to yesterday:

After that, I scooted home and returned an umbrella on the way which I had borrowed from a new acquaintance during the last storm. I don't think it actually started raining though I cannot remember. It was just very windy I think with grey clouds but I think it blew over. So I got home dry and Tiny Baby and I relaxed until Daddy and Frunty came home. Apparently, they had fun at the Little Gym, thank goodness.

It is now the end of another long day as we celebrated Belgium's birthday today by goiing to the Museum of Natural Scient (boring...but fun watching Frunty zoom around) and the watched the air show from the top of K and E's building followed by a military parade down below (we went to the street level for that). We did a lot of walking and felt exhausted but when we got home, Daddy and Frunty made Gramma's chocolate snacking cake for the birthday party and to celebrate Tiny Baby's Canadian passport acquistion. Tiny Baby is now passed out on my lap as I type this. Daddy rigged up the computer so I can sit on the couch and type.

Tomorrow will be a busy day while we prepare for Tunisia so I may not have a chance to type in our blog but will do so after our trip. I am glad that we are off to a warm place to enjoy some summer fun as it is cool here now and feels as if fall has arrived. Could that be already possible? I don't mind the cool weather but am looking forward to swimming and goofing around with the boys at the beach! Until the next entry, cheerio!

0 comments:

Post a Comment