Monday, 9 October 2006
This is the daddy writing: it's been a long time since I wrote here but Frunty did something today that really merits writing down. After I picked him up from school, we passed by the usual waffle truck parked just by the exit. He wanted a snack and asked me for a waffle. But I didn't have any change in my pockets and so he was disappointed. But then I remembered that he usually nicks loose change from around the house and so I asked him if he had some "monies". He started to dig around in his pockets and produced a 50c. piece. I said that wasn't enough. But then he found a 1 euro coin: exact change for a waffle. I said he could have a waffle but that he would have to pay. He protested and said he didn't want to "lose" his monies but I made it clear that if he wanted the waffle he would have to give his coins. He agreed. And, we went back to the truck and before even saying hello, he stretched to reach the counter of the waffle truck and shyly plunked down his two coins. I handed him the waffle and he retreated like a turtle saying merci. Previous to this, I think he has always regarded his coins as toys. And, even though he has seen us buy things all the time, I think he realised that he too can buy things with his "toys". He's really growing up. After we got his waffle, he and I went for a sortie in the forest to look for mushrooms. I had brought a little bucket and we filled it with all sorts of collectibles from the forest floor.

0 comments:
Post a Comment