Tuesday, 27 May 2008

Pit has started school and it has been a few weeks now! I already here him speaking French in the playground to other kids. It is amazing to watch the wee ones grow. Pit has picked up some funny things from school as well for example, all of a sudden, he wants to hold his doo-doo and suck his thumb. Luckily it is not a habit so he just does it once in awhile and Frunty does too, I think for fun. If it keeps up though, we will have to discuss the implications on the teeth.

On May 24th, Pit swam for the first time at our club's pool. Daddy put a ball in his mouth and went under water. Pit, who had been dunking his head for a week or so, went under water to get the ball at which point Daddy would move backwards and bit and Pit would swim to grab the ball. It was just so fun watching him do this.

Frunty is really doing well with his swimming, soccer and karate. I think next year he will just choose swimming and karate though even though we all love Coach Eirik from Norway, Albert's dad, it just gets to be a bit much. Afterschool is for unwinding and after a full day of sport/play/study, it is good to just take it easy. Frunty's karate teacher is the number one karate whatever you call it in Belgium and Luxembourg. Frederique is about 18 and his dad always comes on Friday to watch the lesson too. Frunt looks up to Frederique and I think he is a good role model. Learning a martial art is very good for anyone and everyone and when we settle, I will start myself. Our club doesn't offer a martial arts class for adults but just started with a self-defense class which I plan on trying.

As you all know, we put our dear dog down on May 15th at 10:30 am. It was a really traumatic experience and we have all suffered in our own ways since. Kids are more resilient so they are getting over this loss quicker. We bought them stuffed toy dogs which they cuddle. This was Pit's idea. I still find dog hair here and there and we haven't put away Mowgli's bowls, bed and other items. I can't write anymore other than to say that if you have ever lived with a pet for more than a decade, then you'll know how quiet the house has become and how heavy our hearts are now.

On a happier note, I completed the Brussels' 20K even though I was quite sick leading up to race day and had almost no energy during the hot, sticky route. My head was pounding and I had to walk a lot. I really should have been in bed but after 5 months of training, running up vineyards in Italy, around fields of gold Colza in France, through thunderstorms and severe wind warning, hopping over fallen down trees in Brussels, I was not going to miss this event. I know I could have done a lot better than my 2 hours 33 minutes but there it is.

I will write again soon. It's a good habit. I just find that I get busy living and enjoying the kids and that is fun too...to enjoy it in the moment. But on the other hand, I don't want to forget...not a second of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment