Yesterday we hosted a joint birthday party for Frunty and Pit at our St. Anthony's Parish church. It was fun! We chose this venue because of the beautiful grounds and despite the rain, we did the Treasure Hunt and played a little game of soccer.
We invited 15 kids and any adults who could stay for this Fancy Dress party. One child could not come at the last minute but the others did wearing pirate costumes, Flamenco and princess dresses and we even had a ninja turtle. Our swimming teacher, Pierre Antoine, brought his little baby, 7 month old Margot which was really sweet.
We played pass-the-parcel after the kids decorated wooden picture frames with a photo of them and the birthday boys. (I took these photos prior to the birthday party and it was a real hit!) The kids do just beautiful artwork and I love seeing their creations.
Perdie and I, dressed as a witch and a pirate, enjoyed doing a little skit with an overflowing magic potion which Frunty said was his favourite part of the party, other than the presents! Who needs to hire a clown! Daddy was excellent as a bar man and we had a baby bathtub full of ice (compliments of Delhaize and chez Andy and Perdie) and lots of fun drinks.
I made a soccer themed cake with the boys the day before but they didn't see the decorations until the party which included two Playmobil soccer fellows, one with the #6 on his shirt, one with #3. I made grass out of green coconut and put flags all around the cake which the kids loved getting on top of their piece, of their respective countries. Inkeri was at first sad there was no Finland but accepted graciously a Belgium flag! Of course, there were tons of candies on top and later I saw little mice scurry around, stealing them. I just had to laugh.
I think it was a really lovely atmosphere, with good spirit, lots of laughs and amazingly, only one tiny cry by Max because someone took his seat but that really only last a second before we cheered him up. Amazingly moreso that neither birthday boy cried which is a first for all the parties I have been too in recent memories. I mean afterall, they are entitled to do so but I was thrilled they didn't because it meant they had a thoroughly good time, as did I.
Well, I really could go into business doing these parties as I enjoy the work. The hard for me is getting the cakes right. Because I want the kids to help and they enjoy doing so, it means the cakes aren't store-bought perfect. Also, I make hypoallergenique cakes which are really wanting! But with all the allergies in the class, we have to be careful! Sandro loved the raspberry clafouti and was our photographer thoroughout the party as well as my personal translator!
Today Frunty took 22 party bags to school and two cakes, one banana with fresh cream/orange frosting and one chocolate for his classmates at school, a tradition here in Belgium. I hope he has fun.
And now, ready for a surprise???!!!! I am! Tomorrow we are off on a big, birthday adventure, shall I write HUGE! So stay tuned.................
Having fun as always with my glorious little ones and thanks be to the great spirits what watch over us all...and may the force be with you all too,
Party Mama

0 comments:
Post a Comment