Monday, 21 September 2009

Little India

Just a stone's throw from our serviced apartment (which is in a fantastic location tourist-wise by Orchard Rd) is a pocket of Singapore known as Little India. The kids and I took the MRT there after "school" and ventured into a world full of sights and sounds that were very interesting and authentically Indian. Up a tiny flight of stairs, we entered a beauty parlour where a technician was performing "threading". We watched her twisting a thin thread around a woman's eyebrows and pulling the hairs off all the while listening to loud, Indian music from the street below.

Then it was my turn and the kids watched as I received some henna designs on my arm and back. Absolutely gorgeous. The woman could not do Chinese characters so the kids said "no thanks". However, I did buy a tube of ink down the way and will do henna on them tomorrow. We managed to get some allergy-free desserts and a bag of dark orange mangoes and grabbed the #48 bus back home where Daddy was waiting eagerly for dinner and the desserts that he had sent me a text message about! The skies went very dark grey and we just missed getting soaked by a tropical downpour. Being 13 flights up means we can see a lot of the big, open sky and the grey clouds encroaching. Lots of lightning too.

This week there is a celebration of lights at Little India so I hope that Daddy and I can come back one of the evenings to see...providing I find a babysitter! Time for me to practise Chinese characters so I am ready for tomorrow. Never a dull moment with the Bello Boys, that is for sure! Lucky for us! Namaste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment