Friday, 2 October 2009

Mid-Autumn Festival

This morning, Pit asked me how we were going to bring the fish that we caught at the Fish Farm back to Brussels. This hasn't been the first time that he has asked me a question about Belgium. He says it is too hot here and he wants to go back. Of course, I don't hear him asking these questions when he is frolicking about in the pool because, obviously, he is distracted and having fun. Eventually, and once we are settled in our home, I hope that he'll feel better about being here.

Yesterday afterschool, the three of us went to the Shaw Center to see the new Meatball movie. It was a way to celebrate Frunty's first week of school having been completed and to escape the heat during the hottest part of the day. Apparently, fires in Indonesia are creating a haze here which in turn makes a greenhouse-like effect. I don't find it unbearable in the least. What I did fine hard was the air-con in the theatre. I had to wrap a beach towel around myself and was happy that Pit was sitting on my lap. The movie was quite fun and afterwards, we took bus #36 to Parkway Parade to go to an afterwork office party hosted by a colleague at his condo to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival with mooncakes and lanterns.

In the mall's food court, the kids ate beef and rice and this way we arrived at the party at 6pm with food in our bellies. This was smart as most of the food there had things in it we couldn't eat and also, the kids were so excited that I don't think they would have eaten even if they had been hungry. Instead, they got into the pool which had a jungle gym beside it and splash away.

The party was great and we got to know some more colleagues. The hosts' daughter played soccer with our boys so well that we were the very last to leave the party having had a marvelous time. Highlights were the pomelo contest in which the guys had to race against eachother to peel their fruit. I think Daddy came in second which was pretty good! For me, standing around the pool, watching the kids have fun, chatting about life in Singapore with a local, seeing all the palm trees lit up with little lights made for a magical evening.

We did come home to find some of the aforementioned fish dead but luckily, many new babies are still doing okay. What a week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment