Saturday, 14 August 2010

Friday the 13th

I have never really believed in the superstition that Friday the 13th brings bad luck and I don't know if I have been convinced even though on this past, dubious day, our son, Frunty, broke his arm in two places. Talk about bad luck. We were playing at a jungle gym near Pit's school just before picking him up from his science class. Actually I had just sat down as I felt it was hot and I was tired. I was just going to ask Frunty if he felt the same when all of a sudden, he swung from one part to another but missed and landed very hard on the ground. At first, I only saw the blood on his mouth where he smashed his face. Oh no! Not that tooth again?!!

But when I heard the subsequent scream and saw his arm underneath him I thought oh no, please do not be broken. The fact that it was Friday the 13th never entered my mind until just now, almost two days later. Anyway, I still had to get Pit so I quickly found some ice for Frunty in the church kitchen, thanks to a helper. I thought that might help for a second. I then pulled Pit a little early from class and we jumped into a cab which said, "Changing Shift". The driver did not want to take us. All the other taxis were full. When I told "uncle" the situation, he took us directly to Changi Hospital where...

we were treated like royalty. Is it because we are foreigners? Is it because it's Singapore? I do not know but from the second we got out of the taxi, we were escorted and assisted every step of the way and even given a little kids' map for fun to help us navigate through the maze. The only thing on the tv in the waiting room between doctor's visits and xrays was an Elite Fashion show. We thought the models looked hilarious in these huge boots and crazy swimsuits. We laughed our heads off about a lot of things while at the hospital. I was impressed at how I kept everything light and humorous as it really cheered up the kids and myself.

Pit was quite scared to see the xray of Frunty's broken-in-two places arm. That night Pit asked me to tell him about what happened that day and afterwards, he surprised me when he said, "don't tell me that story ever again." Bless his heart.

Anyway, Frunty was extremely brave and only needed a little painkiller last night and a little more today. He has been a real trooper and very positive. I am not sure if it is good that he thinks it is a positive thing to get out of his music and karate lessons...I guess everyone can use a break! Frunty is also really great about elevating his arm which the doctor told him was important to do...funny how we have to remind him to wash his hands every single day and yet the doctor told him once to elevate and he does it...maybe I could learn something from her.

(for the record, I quit nagging about the hand washing until letter after letter came home from both boys' schools warning against HFMD and urging parents to remind their kids to scrub their filthy, virus-infested, fingernails...okay, that's enough about that!)

I will never forget August 13, 2010...a scarey and stressful Friday but humorous and fun at the same time! Hope you all made it unscathed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment