The nonni and the four of us just returned from our scuba/snorkeling holiday at Mabul Island's Scuba Junkies. The Celebes Sea is touted as the most marine diverse on the planet now and it did not disappoint. In a word, the marine life was incredible and from our island's dock, we could see the abundant fish swimming around without even getting into the clear water. Huge turtles swam by and stuck their snouts out of the water to say "welcome to Sipadan!"
We visited Kapalai which is a resort on stilts but has a sand quay behind it surrounded by crystal, clear water. There is a sign nearby which states, "Beware of Stingrays". They can be hidden in the white sand and upon approach, rocket through the shallow waters. We saw blue spotted rays as well as different star fish.
Frunty enjoyed snorkeling from the boat and from the dock. Because of windy conditions, Pit was not comfortable on this trip and only snorkeled for two seconds! But because he could view sea creatures from the boat and from the dock, as I mentioned, he enjoyed the sea life at Sipadan all the same!
Papa and I spent the day at Sipadan, a dive/snorkel site which is second to none. Captain Jacques Cousteau wrote that he had not seen a place like this anywhere else in the world. I could not believe it when I was snorkeling and turtles were keeping me company. White tips swam by and I kept my calm. I did get absolutely terrified though when three Titon Trigger fish attacked me with their razor, sharp teeth. They got a fin in the face and I swam off unscathed. A huge school of barracuda and an even bigger school of jack fish impressed me and although I was the lone snorkeler, I had an excellent day while Papa and his dive mates explored the reef below.
The Scuba Junkies has backpacker accommodation where we stayed on Mabul Island. Cozy chalets, tastefully done. The food left something to be desired for some but all in all, it was a wonderful and affordable way to experience some of the best reef still left in the world. I am grateful for this amazing experience and know the kids feel the same as Frunty, in particular, can't wait to get back to visit new friends, like the dive master, Martin. Let's hope we'll be so lucky!

0 comments:
Post a Comment