Sunday, 13 January 2013

Maldives Dive Trip

Over the Christmas break this past December, The Daddy was fortunate enough to take 10 days to visit the Maldives and to take a week long trip living on board a dive boat. From my seat in 33A, I was able to get a good view of the reefs as the A330 Singapore Airlines flight approached the capital, Male'.


The reefs and atolls are very picturesque especially with the fancy resorts that have villas over the water. All of those places are too expensive for me and the Maldives does not have good infrastructure for the independent traveler.

Instead, I was on board the 31 metre motor vessel Eagle Ray with 14 passengers and 12 crew. We ate, slept, and relaxed on the main boat and transferred to a dhoni, a small local boat normally used for fishing, for all our dives. I went diving 17 times over the 7 days sometimes to a depth of 35 metres (about a 10 story building underwater) and usually for almost an hour each dive. The map shows the GPS route the Eagle Ray took over the week. We went diving in the South Male', Felidhu, and Ari atolls.

At this link: Dive Video 2012 Maldives, you can watch a 7:20 minute HD video that shows some of things I saw underwater. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment