A major shift is occuring in our daily family life. With Daddy always at home, I could easily take Peauteau to bed for naptime or bedtime and stay with him as long as it would take for him to settle down and fall asleep. I knew that Mr. Two Legs was safe with his Dad. This week though has been quite challenging as Daddy has been out of the house first thing in the morning and hasn't returned til very very late at night. I no longer can stay with Peauteau while he falls asleep because Mr. Two Legs might get into trouble. The risk is way too high. Yesterday our friend was here when I took Peauteau down for his nap. Luckily because Mr. Two Legs went and got a pair of scissors. Not his usual little ones but the big, kitchen pair. As my friend was here, there was no problem. She helped him with the scissors. But had she not been here, there may have been an accident.
Until this week, there have always been two adults tending to these two children. I am soooooooooooooooo lucky to have had seven months of this...but now, to keep them safe, I have to make some changes and it is not easy. And I cannot go back. Even though Daddy will be home next week as usual, I must continue the new regime since in Feb., he will go to Dubai for a week and I must remain consistent.
So...Peauteau has to get used to falling asleep on his own after a good feed. I go in every 5 minutes to give him comfort and positive reinforcement but basically, in a nutshell...HE HATES IT! Last night, alone with both boys, I ran up and down the stairs comforting them both while the other started back crying again. (each boy in a different room since their crying would wake the other up again!) Needless to say...I am a bit frazzled but hey, I enjoyed almost seven months of a kind of closeness that I will always treasure with these boys. With Mr. Two Legs, I obviously enjoyed 3.5 years of it and with Peauteau only nearly 7 months but guess what, safety does have to come first in this case. Mr. Two Legs could get into anything...it's just too dangerous.
So it has been a very challenging week, to say the least because not only am I all of a sudden alone with both boys after 7 glorious months of non-stop support, but I am also trying to teach them how to fall asleep on their own. What a challenging week. And it isn't over yet! They are just such cutie pies and during the day, are sweeter than ever...which makes it harder to see them upset at naptime/night time. But again, I can't be cuddling up to Peauteau all afternoon while Mr. Two Legs tries to make an omelette on the stove. Oh my goodness...now that it is in writing, I see how crazily dangerous it could become if I don't take the tough approach.
And since I go in every 5-10 minutes to cheer them on, telling them what a great job they are doing, making sure they haven't fallen out, I don't think they are being completely traumatized, hopefully. I mean, cold turkey is not my style personally. I prefer to ease them into this gently. Since our home is rather small, I do have the liberty of doing that as I can easily hear what's going on...but I will not take anymore risks like the scissors. And that is that.
If anyone has been through this, please email me with encouraging stories! Thanks!

0 comments:
Post a Comment