Happy New Year everyone!
We have had a challenging Christmas holiday season this year and lots of fun too. My parents visited us for three weeks from Canada. Two days after they arrived, we noticed the first spots on Frunty's belly. He had the chicken pox and bronchitis for the first half of their visit and Pit, the second half. (chicken pox only) Despite fevers, coughs, major crankiness, and unbearably itchy skin at times, we all rallied to have a nice Christmas at home and a new year's celebration with fireworks in the tiny village, Furfooz, in the Ardennes.
Highlights were watching the kids playing with my folks. It took them no time at all to get reaquainted and i was surprised at how they ran to the door when my folks appeared each morning (we got them a little apartment nearby so that they would have good sleeps) and how they sat on their laps or leaned on their knees and snuggled with them. It made me feel great to see how loving my kids are with them and likewise.
I enjoyed running with my Dad and going to the sauna/steam room afterwards at the club. My Mom and I did two classes at the club together...Body Balance (quite challenging) and Yoga 1 (quite crazy!) and she enjoyed a hair treatment/head massage. The two of us also saw the movie The Holiday which put us into the Christmas spirit too.
Despite the pox, we did all get down to the Christmas market in Brussels. My folks had planned to go to one in Germany but it didn't work out. We had also thought of maybe going to Paris/London at some point but that became definitely unfeasible when the kids became sick. But just hanging around here, playing, making cookies, doing crafts, watching some movies and playing "Jeux de Societes" were nice ways to be together.
Another highlight was having our Thai chef, N, come and cook twice here. Once a Thai meal and once a Chinese hot pot last night. Delicious and fun and definitely a great way to have a "restaurant meal" at home...better than a restaurant actually.
Daddy and I enjoyed celebrating our 9th anniversary together and were able to go a very quaint resto together at the Sablon and bowling afterwards. We also had great babysitters for a trip to Maasmechelen village for shopping and the week prior, to see Casino Royale. All times, my folks had everything under control at home so we knew we could really relax while out. It isn't easy to get them to bed but my folks were able to do it...praises to them!
It was hard saying good bye today and my folks flight took off less than an hour ago. Frunty took it really well and seems to understand the comings and goings of grandparents. We look forward to the next visit, whenever that may be. It isn't the same as being able to see each other each week and sometimes I feel sad about that. I picture my folks coming down to Willow on Friday afternoons, my Mom taking the kids to Gymboree, my Dad and I going running, eating dinner together perhaps and then maybe Daddy and I even going on a date some nights. I picture help when the kids are sick or when I am ill or when Daddy is travelling. For example, Daddy will go to Nice, France for a week at the end of this month. Being together and being able to help one another sound ideal. Being so far away seems so hard. But this is our reality right now and we are all making the best of it.
I am going to try to get back into writing more this year. I got out of practise. So stay tuned for more updates! All the best to all of you in 2007.

0 comments:
Post a Comment