Thursday, 10 September 2009

Wow! Would somebody pinch me!? I can't believe we are in Singapore. It has taken us a loooong time to get here, a lot of patience, and tons of hard work by Daddy and support from the three of us. I am so proud of all the work that has gotten us here today. And I must say, it feels good being back in Asia.

There are so many things that make it special here. Where do I start? I love the little, clear plastic bags with slices of mango for sale. (70 cents?! What a healthy, inexpensive snack!) I love the friendly service everywhere. I mistakenly ordered two meals the other night and the chef insisted he take one back and that I do not pay. (the language barrier is tricky even though we are all speaking English!) I love how almost every mall has a reflexology center. People go in, sit down and their feet are massaged. Talk about heaven. (I went my first night here and again tonight. Daddy insisted both times!) I love the evening when it is just the right heat and people are walking around, eating, talking, shopping. It is a really vibrant city anytime of day but at night, it is magic.

The kids have been doing really well despite some jet lag. Frunty says he loves the heat just doesn't like the idea of school. On his first day, he said it was awesome here and on his second, he called Singapore "paradise". Both kids have enjoyed the Singapore Flyer, the world's tallest observation wheel and the renting of mini-Formula 1 race cars where they could zoom around on a track. Pit laughed his head off...at one point, I wasn't sure if he was laughing or crying!!

Tomorrow is bring-your-kids to work day! That was one of the reasons we zoomed over here but really second to trying to figure out the whole schooling situation. The kids are pretty excited to see where Daddy works and take part in games with mysterious prizes!! I'll come and go as needed, depending on how the kids integrate.

It really feels like a dream here. Because it is hot and sunny and there are palm trees everywhere and we are in temporary housing, it feels like a holiday. Of course, Daddy does have to work but we are fortunate for times together to do some sightseeing and eating at hawkers' markets. I just went out to get Daddy some okonomiyaki, takoyaki and a Fig Jelly drink. Better make sure he eats it!

Cheerio for now from Singapore!

1 comments:

Matthew Zadow said...

Great post! We were wondering how you were getting on. Sounds like everything is new, different and exciting for you.

We are thinking of you and send you all our good wishes, have lots of fun exploring Singapore...

Post a Comment