Saturday, 6 February 2010
Safari Zoo Run
It was a good day at the Zoo. Frunty was ready. He had trained and he was focused. There were over 100 other kids competing to be the "Fastest Kid" in the 3.2 km Safari run open to 7 to 12 year olds. Many of the other kids were much taller and bigger than Frunty but he wasn't scared. He listened to the instructions of the MC and when the horn blew, he was off like a gazelle. 19:02 minutes later, he crossed the finish line in the top 10. He was having fun and was very proud of himself. Shortly after, I joined the 6.2 km Fun Run and avoided the crowds by scooting to the front and staying there. I think I finished in the top 15 with a time of 26:12. Pretty darn good considering both Frunty and I had trained for less than a month. After the race, we did a speed walk to the Kidsworld zone of the Zoo which has a splash and water park. So we cooled down in the water and built up our appetite even more. As the sun was setting, we again had to do a speed walk to get to the Night Safari restaurants to meet our friends for dinner. The boys ate Bongo burgers, The Mommy had some veggie briyani, and I had spicy sambal stingray. Because we didn't do enough phys. ed., we walked off our dinner calories by visiting the animals in the Night Safari. Probably the most notable were the wild cicadas in the jungle. They were so, so, LOUD that it made our ears hurt. We made it back from the jungle to have some ice cream and sorbets while enjoying the fire-breathing tribal dance show. All in all, we spent over 10 hours walking, running, splashing around and generally having a wild time so by the time the taxi got to the expressway to take us home at 10pm, Pit was fast asleep.


2 comments:
You guys are truly amazing, just for signing up. Finishing so well...just incredible. I am inspired to start running again myself.
wooo hooo!! from team twickenham xo
Post a Comment