Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Zoo Trip

Today Pit's K1 year went to the zoo and parents/caregivers were invited so at least 17 participated. I was very grateful to be able to attend. This works out for me because I was invited but also because Amy could be home to greet Frunty at 2pm. Daddy was busy with press conferences and reporters all day (and night) so could not help me out. So I am grateful for many reasons. We did have a fun time and I enjoyed being with Pit, of course, and seeing the show, "The Rainforest Fights Back." We saw the first polar bear in the world to be born in the tropics. Pretty incredible. He seemed to be pretty happy, swimming around in his semi-cool pool with palm trees behind him. And his mom pool-side. Never even imagined that that could occur in nature.

Today got me thinking about how our life is different here and if it has improved compared to Brussels. I never minded the weather over there in Brussels...cool and rainy all year was fine with me. But healthwise, I suppose it is better to get the Vitamin D. Daddy and I are both involved in the kids' schools and this is a huge bonus. Daddy does floorball with Frunty at TPS and I help out at the library once a week and with "EduFun" and Reading programmes and the pool. At Chant D'Oiseau, we were lucky to see inside Frunty's classroom once. And it was frowned upon when I went to the pool to see him swim.

In Brussels, Daddy travelled a great deal and I was often alone with the kids. Here, Papa has not travelled at all yet and I have a full-time, live-in helper. So we have time to breathe. What is still missing here in Singapore is really close family and friends. I have that in Toronto and Brussels and miss it. In Singapore, we have 5 bathrooms, in Brussels only 1. Sure makes hosting guests a lot more comfortable. I miss the French quite a bit. One might think that life is easier here because it is all in English. Well, not exactly. Come over and hear for yourselves.

Well, anyway, some recent researchers concluded that the grass is not actually ever greener on the other side. I have lived in enough countries by now to realize for myself that it is six of one and a half dozen of another, as my mom often says. In each place, I am grateful though for what is good. Heck, if a polar bear can make it here, so can I!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment