Well...big, sigh. What can I say? So far I haven't said much on my blog but I would like to chronicle todays conversation with Pit's K1 teacher, Ms. Gan, who has been concerned in the past but now is "very worried" that Pit will not be able to "cope with spelling."
First of all, for the record, we are practising spelling, math, reading etc. and learning an instrument. Pit's Italian is coming along, he still remembers French and is learning a bit of Mandarin and Tagalog. His swimming is very good as is his yoga. Frunty is teaching him some karate. I am so proud of him in many ways and find him to be quite well-rounded. Pit is interested in learning what we are doing in the kitchen too and helping when he can.
Today Ms. Gan informed me that she is very worried that Pit will not be able to cope with spelling and that the little boy beside him, Justin from China, has been trained "very well by his parents." I guess it depends how you define "trained." I could have responded:
"You are very concerned with Pit. Thanks for sharing your feelings. Do you need a hug?" (I learned this lingo in the Positive Parenting book) But I am not her parent so I tried to explain very briefly that we have a different philosophy for our kids which does not include just studying and we think that Pit will be just "fine".
I type this as Frunty is just finishing his "mid-term exams." Deep breath. Take a deep breath, Momma!

1 comments:
Differing philosophies can be hard to navigate your way through. Hugs mama! You are doing a great job!
Post a Comment