Sunday, 4 March 2012

Scouts

Periodically I have asked the boys if they were interested in Scouts having described what is involved. In November, they heard about some friends in Brussels doing Scouts and then they saw some classmates here at TPS wearing their Scout uniforms at school. One day, Frunty came home and said he would like to try Scouts.

Thank goodness for google. Within minutes I found an open Scout group in Singapore called Viking Cub Scouts. I phoned and got some more information from several moms. I received welcome emails and a phone call to receive more information. Very quickly, we were welcomed into the world of Scouts. I reinforced to the boys that we would try Scouts. No pressure. They have enough pressure from other sources. So we went to Scouts yesterday with open minds.

After a few hours of compass and map reading and completed a treasure hunt with the other children ranging from 5-11 (co-ed) both our boys are hooked and can't wait to get the uniform! It really feels great when you see your children doing something they thoroughly enjoy. I had that feeling last week with Berries Chinese and I am grateful for these various activities that are fun and educational.

Stay tuned for some photos which I will post from another laptop that hopefully works!

1 comments:

Evelyn said...

My big boys started scouts in Sept and they enjoy it too :-) I think the co-operative, service oriented culture of scouts is great compared to the competitive, selfish way of doing things that is the societal norm. Or at least, that's how it feels sometimes. I'm glad your guys liked it!

It's been mad around here - essays for my degree, major renovations starting etc etc - but I will try to email soon to be in touch properly!

Much love to you all,

E xx

Post a Comment