Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Hurricane Sandy

We have been very busy with preparing ourselves and our home and making sure that the people we love are safe too in case Hurricane Sandy was more than we could handle. Fortunately we were very lucky and are grateful that the worst did not come to pass for all of us in this area of Toronto and the world. We are also very fortunate that Auntie Dee is back at home after two emergency visits to the hospital after her operation. At times like these, nothing else in the world matters...safety and health tied for first place.

We are looking forward to nonna and nonno's return from Europe tonight and wonder if their flight has been delayed like many others because of Hurricane Sandy.

We do not know yet. But one thing I do know: my two little boys are the two biggest helpers any mom could ever hope for...they helped with an emergency plan, made a kit with all the food and safety items we might need for 72 hours and more in case we were housebound, and even aided me in carrying load after load from the shops to the car to our home. We were ready. I know that whether Frunty and Pit were in Boy Scouts or not, they would help me no matter what and I appreciate this immensely. For them, it was a bit exciting and an adventure even though it was a bit scarey. And as I type tonight and they are snuggling warm with their polar bear blankets, I am sure that I conveyed my appreciation. Well done, Frunty and Pit, because education is also about how to take care of yourself and others! I love you both more than words can say! Through your actions and because of the boys that you are...words echoed by Grampa today after he babysat you while Gramma and I did errands.

During the stormy bits of life, I am happy to be with you guys! During last night's hurricane, Frunty eventually fell asleep exhausted after all his slogging and Pit, at 2 am, woke up and looked out the window to check on the winds and rain, had a sip of water, and fell back asleep. Really impressive!
And when I asked Frunty whom we should invite to sleepover in case the whether got too bad, he said, "Auntie Dee, because she is alone and not so well and we have a fireplace and she does not." Talk about the power of observation and thoughtfulness. Well, time for bed now and let's hope the weather can improve so we all can enjoy a fun Halloween.

One last word: we are sorry for those who lost their lives during Hurricane Sandy and for those who suffer and lose their loved ones all over the world during natural disasters and for other reasons. These are also hard but important lessons for our boys to learn about too. Good night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment