Earlier today I hosted an Easter party for Frunty and some of his classmates afterschool. Pit helped me tidy up in order to get ready in the after lunch and then we went and got Frunty and his friends, Sophie, Inkeri and Leander. Unfortunately, two other classmates' folks didn't get back to me and I don't even know if they received the beautiful egg-shaped cards that my kids made to invite them.It was a glorious day, a little warmer in the afternoon, so we all walked slowly home, taking the long way so we could enjoy some more sunshine. Caroline helps me walk the kids safely from the school to our home. She was surprised I took a longer route but hey, it is nice to do something different sometimes.
Once we arrived at our door, I went over the rules before entering. Take off our shoes, wash our hands/go pipi and sit down for homework. We all had to do "devoirs" before we could start the party. Frunty had problems concentrating so eventually I put him on the deck to finish his devoirs so the party could finally start. With only 2 hours, we can't be goofing around too long with homework!
With the kids still at the table, they began decorating heart-shaped cookies with different bonbons and icing "markers" from Canada. One cookie to eat now, the other to take home. The kids loved doing that and Frunty finally joined in and as I popped the cork on some apple/cherry Kidibul, the party was off to a good start! Pit ran and retrieved the cork and got back to work.
The second activity after the cookies, involved decorating Easter eggs with stickers and markers and making egg holders out of toilet paper rolls cut in the half. I found some eggs that had already been hard-boiled and dyed so this made my day a lot easier. I was able to actually sit down and decorate with the kids. I think over time, one party after another, I have learned how to make it stress-free enough so I can enjoy my time with the kids. Fewer kids, specially chosen, simple crafts...I have fine-tuned these parties for optimal enjoyment!
Following the egg decorating, we did some egg races with some un-decorated, hard-boiled eggs. This game wasn't as great as it could have because we were missing the two other kids and because Pit was having problems playing and sat himself down refusing to play. I ended up playing and announced that we were all winners!
The next activity was sitting in a circle to play Hot Potato. I wrapped a little bag of Easter eggs many times and as the music stopped, each child unwraps a layer of paper. Inkeri was quite upset that the winner would get all the eggs so I announced quickly that we would share the prize. That was when magic happened and Frunty yelled, "Everyone close their eyes, my mom will hide the eggs." That was so much fun as I quickly ran around hiding them. After they were all located we put them in a pile on the sheep skin and each child could have two.
With 5 minutes left to go in the party, I announced it was time to make an Easter card for mom/dad or a special friend. The kids were back at the table, working hard when their folks arrived one by one. I really enjoyed this party the most of all the ones I have ever thrown. With quiet, Raffi music in the background, sunshine streaming through the windows, I felt that I had finally succeeded in enjoying the party myself! Normally I am pretty overwhelmed by the end. I think having a good balance of girls and boys helps keep it calm too. This time we didn't play musical statues. I think that that was wise as well because usually, that game develops into sword fighting!!
The next parties will be the kids' birthdays in June and then another school year will have been completed. I really love our Halloween/Christmas/Valentine's and Easter fetes and getting the kids to learn how to say "Happy Easter" in English. If we have time next year, I'll do a Thanksgiving and a St. Patrick's as well. But let's not get carried away!! It is just a fun way for me to get to know the kids in the classes. I think it'll be easier to invite some of Pit's friends next year as they will walk home better from school. I had one of his friends during the last party and everything went well but when they are older, I feel more comfortable making the trip from the school to our home.
Well, that is it for now. Time to get packing for our trip to Italy. Two more sleeps!

0 comments:
Post a Comment